Monday 20 August 2012

My Impacted Wisdom Tooth Operation

My top impacted wisdom teeth had been causing me much pain, constant pressure on right side and sharp shooting pains on my left side, make you stop and forget what your doing pains!
So that's why I decided to face one of my worst fears and have them removed.  The surgeons tell you it will be fine, nothing to worry about but they don't tell you really what to expect probably not to scare you, but afterwards that leaves you wondering if everything is really ok.

The day of the operation I was very nervous. I opted for local anaestetic with sedation. The hospital staff were very nice (private hospital). They took me into the operating theatre and I laid on the bed and they talked to me and stuck the IV into my arm and after a few seconds I went off to sleep. It was like that stage of drunk when you feel good and no longer care. The next thing I heard as I couldn't open my eyes was a drill coming towards me which is when I screamed. The surgeon said don't worry nearly done and mumbled something, probably to the anaesthetist to get some more sedative in me. The next thing I awoke and it was all over. I did cry as I was traumatised but glad it was over.

I was outside with a nurse being monitored before they wheeled me back to my hospital room. They then gave me oxygen and kept monitoring me. But before they would let me go home I had to eat a sandwich.... How ridiculous you can't move your mouth so my husband sneakily ate some of it for me. They also gave a glass of water with a straw... I could not use the straw so took it out and was able to drink just about. Later I found out you should not under any circumstance use a straw for a couple of months! In order for them to let me leave I had to eat sandwich and drink, sort of felt like trying to break out of jail convincing the nurse I had done this. Also they did not take my IV out which made it impossible to bend my arm to eat the blinking sandwich!

I escaped and got home. Took the painkillers they gave me straight away and my mouth hurt like deep down pain but it was ok. Sleeping was very awkward as I sleep on my side and had to sleep on my back. Found out later you should sleep with your head propped up on 3 pillows as this may reduce the swelling. In hindsight it would have been better if I knew this day one. On the Sunday woke up and took more painkillers (they had given me codeine) and felt ok. Sitting on the chair all day but was ok.....so I thought...... This is when the strange things started happening which will require a whole new very long post!

No comments:

Post a Comment